Aubergine and Chickpea Curry with Cashews
A delicious, filling curry!
Serves 2, Ready in 45 minutes.
1tbsp olive oil, 1 clove of garlic, crushed, 1tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 slices of onion, 1/2 aubergine, 1/2 cup of peas, 1/2 cup cauliflower, 1 carrot
200g tin chopped tomatoes, 200g tin chickpeas, 2tbsp cashew nuts
1tbsp curry paste (I use Patak’s Mild Curry Paste), 1tbsp tomato puree, 1/2tsp curry powder (or more for a hotter curry), 1/2tsp ground cumin, 50ml vegetable stock
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Finely chop the onion and add it to the pan. Stir in the garlic and ginger and sauté until the onion has softened – be careful not the burn it.
2. Peel and finely chop the carrot, cauliflower and aubergine. Add, along with the peas, into the saucepan. Pour in the vegetable stock and stir in the curry paste. Add the curry powder, cumin, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and chickpeas. Mix together and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Be careful the curry doesn’t burn. Add more water if it begins to dry out. Taste and add more curry powder and curry paste for a hotter curry if preferred.
3. Add the cashew nuts and cook for a further 10 minutes again being careful the curry doesn’t dry out or begin to catch on the bottom of the pan.
4. Optional – for a creamy curry stir in 1tbsp of natural yogurt. If the curry’s too spicy adding a dollop of yogurt will also help to achieve a milder curry.
5. Serve with naan bread, rice, plain yogurt, mango chutney – whatever takes your fancy!
This curry freezes well and can be quickly reheated in the microwave for a healthy, filling meal in a hurry.